The Diseased Brain and the Failing Mind. Dementia in Science, Medicine and Literature of the Long Twentieth Century (London: Bloomsbury, 2020); open access thanks to Wellcome Trust funding.
The Poetics and Politics of Alzheimer’s Disease Life-Writing (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2017); open access thanks to Wellcome Trust funding.
‘From a “care-free” distance? Adult sons about their parents with dementia: A cross-cultural enquiry’, in: Heike Hartung, Rüdiger Kunow and Matthew Sweney (eds.), Ageing Masculinities, Alzheimer’s and Dementia Narratives (London: Bloomsbury, 2022); open access.
‘Dementia and the politics of memory in fiction: from the condition as narrative experiment to the patient as plot device’, in: Irmela M. Krüger-Fürhoff, Nina Schmidt and Sue Vice (eds.), The Politics of Dementia: Forgetting and Remembering the Violent Past in Literature, Film and Graphic Narratives (Berlin: DeGruyter, 2022); open access.
‘Terry Pratchett’s Living with Alzheimer’s as a case study of late-life creativity’, in: David Amigoni and Gordon McMullan (eds.), Creativity in Later Life: Beyond Late Style (Abingdon: Routledge, 2019).
- A. Britton and M. Zimmermann*. ‘Informal dementia care: The carer’s lived experience at the divides between policy and practice.’ Dementia: the international journal of social research and practice; 21(7):2117-2127; open access thanks to UKRI funding.
- ‘Alzheimer’s disease metaphors as mirror and lens to the stigma of dementia.’ Literature and Medicine 2017; 35(1):71-97; open access thanks to Wellcome Trust funding.
- ‘“Journeys” in the life-writing of adult-child dementia caregivers.’ Journal of Medical Humanities 2013; 34(3):385-397.
- ‘Narrating stroke: the life-writing and fiction of brain damage’. Medical Humanities 2012; 38:73-77.
- ‘Fictional and real-world revolutionary heroes in the history of psychiatric politics’. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2012; 200(12):1017-1021.
- ‘Dementia in life-writing: our health care system in the words of the sufferer’. Neurological Sciences 2011; 32:1233-1238.
- ‘Deliver us from evil: carer burden in Alzheimer’s disease.’ Medical Humanities 2010; 36:101-107.
- ‘Integrating medical humanities into a pharmaceutical care seminar on dementia’. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2013; 77(1), article 16.
- Burkhardt, … and M. Zimmermann*, ‘Literature and science: a different look inside neurodegeneration’. Advances in Physiology Education 2012; 36:68-71.
Online Book Reviews and Guest Blog Posts:
- ‘The Sciences of Ageing and the Culture of Youth’, Centre for Science and Policy blog, University of Cambridge, 2 August 2022.
- ‘Working together. Changing care’, The Polyphony blog, Durham University, 17 Jan 2019.
- ‘Book review: Living before Dying. Imagining and Remembering Home by Janette Davies’, Times Higher Education 2018; 2343:51.
- ‘The Poetics and Politics of Alzheimer’s Disease Life-Writing’, Department of English blog, King’s College London, 4 Oct 2017.
- ‘Book review: Aliceheimer’s. Alzheimer’s Through the Looking Glass by Dana Walrath’, Medical Humanities blog of the Biomedical Journal, 5 Oct 2016.
27 publications (20 original research papers, 4 review articles, 2 teaching studies) in internationally peer reviewed journals, and 1 article for continuing professional education.